(Photo: Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti)
Today during a 5:30 p.m. press conference, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti announced even stricter measures to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, reports We Like LA.
Shying away from terms like “lockdown” and “shelter in place,” Garcetti is instead calling this order “Safer at Home.”
The Safer at Home order goes into effect at midnight tonight through March 31. The County of Los Angeles has put a similar order into place, reports We Like LA.
Things you can do:
- Go to the grocery store
- Go to the pharmacy
- Go to medical appointments (check with your doctor first)
- Take a walk, ride your bike, and exercise outdoors while social distancing
- Walk your pets and take them to the vet if needed
- Help someone else get supplies they need
Per the Safer at Home order, the following is a list of business and services considered essential:
- City/County government services:
- Gas service stations, auto supply, auto repair, bicycle repair shops, and related facilities.
- Health care providers
- Food services (note: no dine-in restaurants or bars can be open)
- Hardware stores and nurseries
- Plumbers, electricians, exterminators, custodial/janitorial workers, handyman services, funeral home workers and morticians, moving services, HVAC installers, carpenters, landscapers, gardeners, property managers, private security personnel and other service providers who provide services to maintain the safety, sanitation, and essential operation to properties and other essential activities
- Organizations and businesses that provide food, shelter, and social services, and other necessities of life for economically disadvantaged or otherwise needy individuals, (including gang prevention and intervention and domestic violence agencies).
- Laundromats/laundry service
- Newspapers, magazines, television, radio, podcasts and other media services
- Educational institutions, including public and private K-12 schools, colleges, and universities for purposes of facilitating distance learning or performing essential functions provided that social distancing of six-feet per person is maintained to the greatest extent possible
READ MORE HERE: