DTLA Proud—Downtown’s LGBTQ Pride Festival—takes place this month August 23-25 in Pershing Square.
BY VICTOR MELAMED
DTLA Proud, a non-profit organization founded by a grassroots group of local residents, business owners, community leaders and nightlife promoters, is focused on creating an all-inclusive community that represents the diverse LGBTQ+ population living, working and playing in the thriving heart of the city of Los Angeles.
The highlights of this year’s DTLA Proud Festival include:
- The Marketplace—A custom built shopping experience that’s offering twenty Queer Entrepreneurs and small businesses the opportunity to work with corporate visual merchandises to design and build custom stores, allowing them to elevate their brands and showcase their business in front of the LBGTQ community.
- The Artist Alley—Offering twenty local queer artists the chance to vendor their goods to their community.
- Three Local live Art installations expressing the diverse community we call LA.
- Summertramp—a “Magical Brigadoon of Decadence and Delight” will transform Pershing Square into an urban oasis and play host to an expanded water park that will include performances from local DJs with guest spots from other local parties.
- Main Stage—Highlighting over 100 Queer Performers that showcase the best that DTLA has to offer. From a performance by Mariachi Arcoiris to the #1 Dolly Parton impersonator—Vancie Vega, the main stage line-up has something for everyone. The packed line-up includes—Miss Shalae, Ongina from RPDR, the winners of Dragula Seasons 1 and 2, Vander Von Odd, Iman, Bitch Puddin and many others! Also on board—this year’s winner of Alaska’s Drag Queen of the year—Abhora.
- Queer Historical monument—Partnered with the One Archives to curate an amazing area full of LA’s queer history that dates back ten years before STONEWALL. IF we don’t know the past, we don’t know where we need to go.
- Free Friday—ALL Ages—Alcohol Free—an entire day dedicated to all ages with a Drag Queen Storytime Tent—Gaymers Lounge and a main stage packed with local entertainment. Truly creating a safe space for all.
For more info and updates—visit: www.dtlaproud.org.